A medium-sized Source Engine map created for a singleplayer mapping competition on the Facepunch forums’ Mapping section.
Holy shit, that last pic looks amazing.
The map features standard Half Life 2 gameplay and environments: close quarters first person combat set in a urban-industrial area that opens up into a simplistic open arena section before a final confrontation.
While making the map I made extensive use of the Source Engine’s entity and AI systems to create a not-so-unique-yet-interesting experience.
The visual style is somewhat of a departure from Half Life 2, yet I believe its the map’s strongest point. The dark, foggy outside areas are in a nice contrast with the artificially lit interiors while these two surroundings exchange throughout the map.
The map has been built for play in Half Life 2: Episode 2 and the game is required to play it. All assets used are part of Half Life 2 and Episode 2 – made by Valve.
The map won 2nd place in the aforementioned competition. Both the compiled map and source files are released.
- https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1213683 (competition opening thread)
- https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1231747 (competition voting thread)
- https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1229749 (map’s own thread)
- via Mega (compiled map + materials)
- via Mega (.vmf source file – does not contain materials)